Expeditionary Learning Model
As part of our EL Education model of teaching and learning, we assess students on three big dimensions of achievement: character, mastery of knowledge and skills, and high quality work. Learning expeditions put students in the driver’s seat of their own education, and give them opportunities to demonstrate the three dimensions of achievement throughout the process and presentation of a professional final product.
What is a Learning Expedition?
At King our students engage in twelve to fifteen week experiential learning expeditions, two times per year. These expeditions are:
- In-depth and interdisciplinary
- Students to engage in independent research
- Use the community in authentic ways
- Students to represent their understanding with high quality product
- Final products presented to authentic audiences.
- Each learning expedition includes guiding questions, kickoff experiences, case studies, projects, fieldwork, experts, and a culminating event.