|Vertical Housing and Program Design
King uses a vertical housing structure that integrates related arts programs into houses and supports the development of close-knit teams for students and teachers.
- Three-year school-wide programs include crew time, activity block, physical education and a wellness program that incorporates health and sex education.
- Support for technology integration and development among students and teachers provided by related arts classes
- The ELL program consists of a team of four ELL teachers who provide a combination of embedded mainstream support and direct language instruction
- Special Education support follows a push-in model with specific times for direct instruction
About Our Schedule
King is set up like a confederacy of schools. Each house has flexibility with the design of its own schedule within a school wide framework. Frequently, houses choose to temporarily modify their schedules to meet the needs of their expeditions.
Key components of this kind of scheduling include:
- Eliminating school wide bells to change classes;
- Providing each house with its own wing or section of the school;
- Integrating related arts teachers into house teams (see related arts).